Day 2. Tower to Sheerness (6/4/22)

 The petrol station I aimed for this morning was shut so soon found myself out of fuel in London. Luckily the nearest petrol station was only a ten minute walk and mostly down hill. I also bumped into a friend so they kept me company on my way over.

The entrance to Tower RNLI

Now that I was back on the road proper, I quickly arrived at Tower lifeboat station. Slightly confused to find it located at Windsor bridge though!

A slightly more interesting pic with a view in the background 

Next on the list is Gravesend lifeboat station. I turned up just in time to see the boat head out on call which was very lucky. The lifeboat station here is located at the end of the second oldest cast iron pier in the world. The oldest cast iron pier is next door, 100 metres up river! Luckily there was still someone in the station and they were able to open up and show me around quickly.

A view of the pier from the side

And outside the pier entrance 

I then pootled on to the Isle of Sheppey just as the wind started to really pick up. Getting on to the Island I had to wait for the bridge to raise for a small boat to travel under which is always fun to see.

The lifeboat station in Sheerness is inside the port and the gate were quite reluctant to let in a grubby biker with no appointment but I sat outside having a break for long enough that they confirmed that I was expected and let me in. It was. good thing too as just as I got in the wind started blowing even harder and a sheet of rain started to fall so I was able to wait it out in the lifeboat station and have a chat with the very nice staff there.

Outside RNLI Sheerness once the rain stopped and the sun came out

Luckily the shower only lasted 45 mins or so and soon the sun was shining again and I was able to get to where I was staying for the night.


Comments

  1. I've been under that bridge a number of times including with your cousin Freddy! They get some big vessels going under, which is why they tend to favour boats over cars (or bikes!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Motorbike shakedown testing

Day 21 Bristol to St Donats

Day 20 Burnham-on-Sea to Bristol